Performs a variety of responsible unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance, repair, and construction work on streets, grounds, water distribution, sewer collection system, and other public areas.
DISTINGUISHING CAREER FEATURES
An employee in this class performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled labor tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, water distribution system, wastewater collections, grounds, lift stations and other public facilities and areas. Work also involves reading water meters, collection of yard waste and bulk trash, landscape maintenance, and related work. Work involves operating construction equipment and a variety of tools, and light and medium equipment to build, repair and replace sections of water and sewer lines, asphalt repair and other infrastructure. Employees are subject to working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, and oils. Work is also subject to the final standards of OSHA on blood borne pathogens. Employees are also subject to on-call and call-back work. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation and inspection for adherence to instructions and standard trade and safety practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
· Performs semi-skilled trades work in the construction, maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines; operates construction equipment such as dump trucks, loaders, tampers, trenchers, air compression driven equipment, and other related light and medium equipment; performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
· Performs water taps; repairs leaks and installs water lines and meters; cleans and maintains sewer lines and culverts; repairs sewer line leaks; smokes sewer lines to check for cracks and connections; maintains sewer lift stations.
· Participates in asphalt repair to streets and other street facilities.
· Participates in erection, maintenance and repair of street signs and painting street markings. Reads water meters.
· Participates in clearing right of ways and leaf and limb removal; collects yard debris on residential routes; removes fallen limbs from streets; digs cemetery graves.
· Participates in mowing, mulching, planting, seeding, irrigating, and other landscape maintenance tasks.
· Assists in other maintenance tasks such as painting, cleaning gutters, and building fences. Operates a variety of light, medium and heavy equipment including front end loaders, back hoes, dump trucks, power saws, tractors, trenchers, weed eaters, blowers, chipper, etc.
· Provides traffic flagging and control and ensures safe work zone when working around traffic. Performs vehicle and equipment maintenance and minor repairs; keeps vehicles clean.
· Shovels snow; puts down salt or pushes snow with a dump truck. Prepares simple records of work activities.
Performs related tasks as required.
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION GUIDELINES
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of tools, materials and equipment used in public works and utility construction and maintenance work.
· Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
· Knowledge of municipal maintenance and construction practices including some knowledge of water and sewer line, street, and/or grounds maintenance work.
· Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to operations of motorized equipment.
· Some knowledge of the application of information technology to the work.
· Skill in the use of tools and operation and maintenance of assigned equipment. Skill in teamwork and public contact.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, supervisors, and other employees.
· Ability to deal courteously with the general public.
· Ability to operate light to heavy construction and maintenance equipment with skill and safely. Ability to prepare simple written records of work activities.
· Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
· Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; 50 pounds of force frequently; and 20 pounds constantly.
· Must possess the visual acuity to operate mobile equipment such as the loader and dump truck in a safe manner, perform mechanical tasks, and to visually inspect the work performed.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school and experience in semi-skilled maintenance, utility, or construction work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid North Carolina commercial driver's license. Ability to obtain traffic control certification.
Administering the Class
Two levels have been identified for this classification:
o The Public Services Technician requires a commercial drivers license, ability to operate tools and light and medium equipment and ability participate in all aspects of the work.
o The Senior Public Services Technician requires two of the following: journey level masonry skills, skilled equipment operation including backhoe operation in tight locations, and/or distribution or collection system certification. Employees obtaining the Senior level will receive a 5% in-range salary adjustment.
Special Note: This generic class description gives an overview of the job class, its essential job junctions, and recommended job requirements. However, for each individual positions assigned to this class, there is available a completed job questionnaire with a physical abilities checklist which can give further details about that one specific position. Those documents should be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal and defensible personnel decisions.